Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The way things were...

The start of September is the start of school.  Ethan started preschool at the age of three, September 2006.
  Ethan had been currently receiving speech in our home from an amazing woman who worked for Little Red School house.  Ethan's speech services started at 5 months of age, so it was sad to say goodbye to someone we had been with for so long.
  With the transition of preschool came the meeting with our home care nursing agency, the school district's nurses, and a lot of paperwork. To receive the speech services and because of where school district had their preschools, Ethan would be attending Marshall Elementary.  Our "home" school for where we lived was Cascade Elementary, but we will have this changed too.
  With all of  Ethan's medical needs we need home care nursing.  When Ethan came come from Children's, January 2nd, 2004, we came home to more nurses.  In the beginning we had one agency, after awhile two....then none, then we were back to one.  So it was arranged that the nurse would accompany Ethan to preschool.
  The story of no agency and back to one is important to understanding what happens at the beginning of  Ethan's second year of preschool.  By the time August 2007 comes we were down to one agency providing no nurses and one agency providing one....a phone call changed everything.
  While at work I received a phone call from the agency providing the one nurse.  The coordinator informed me that since they could only provide the one nurse and she was dropping down to one day a week that they would be no longer providing nursing care for Ethan.  Just like that they dropped our case and didn't bother to look for more nurses to send out.  Just like that I had no one to accompany Ethan to preschool in two weeks. Fitting that it was two weeks cause that's what I had to give next.   I put in my two week notice, said goodbye after 6yrs with an amazing restaurant and started school with Ethan.  Little did I know that I never really had to do any of this. I'll explain later:)
  So while attending the second year of preschool with Ethan I had to arrange someone to pick up my son Isaac, who had started kindergarten at Cascade Elementary, and I had to find a new home care agency.  To explain why I had to find a new one...remember the other agency we had providing no nurses....yeah that was ongoing from the beginning, let's just say they were no longer our agency....hmmm.....are we still with them?!?!?  Who knows!  Anyways in the crazy shuffle of the boys at two different schools one of the teachers mentioned I should do a In District Transfer to get Isaac over to Marshall.  So after a month Isaac was commuting with us and attending Marshall.  I found an agency that was able to provide a nurse after the winter break.  Boys are now at the same school, we have a great nurse with Ethan and I'll just do the In District Transfer every year.  Everything will be fine.  Right?  Wrong!
  Now we have to move...it's still unclear on the exact reason.  I argue one reason and the school district argues a few, my husband has a theory, and then the home care agency's coordinator has another!
  Ethan will be attending.....Kellogg Marsh Elementary.  But wait, Isaac has to go back to Cascade?!-No.  Remember when I said that Cascade Elementary was our "home" school?  Well it was until another elementary school was opened, Grove Elementary.  So some school boundaries got altered.  The school district argues this is the reason we got moved...we argue that the "services" Ethan needed were at Kellogg Marsh.-This is what I was told when I requested paperwork for an In District Transfer, in the office at Marshall.
  But there is something I forgot to tell you...  When we finally got a nurse in January of 2008, for those last months of preschool, Ethan's class got a new student.   Yup!  So apparently the school district had a little boy also needing to go to preschool that had a trach and......no nurse!  So this little boy lived near us and I had no idea.  So he attended preschool at Marshall for those last few months and shared the nurse with Ethan.
  Well enter the reason/theory my husband has about the move.....Kellogg Marsh was the "home" school for both boys and the other little boy's brother was currently there and since our boy is sharing that nurse....move 'em. -Later I will find this is the more likely reason the move happened. 
 At the start of the 2008-09 school year my boys were moved to Kellogg Marsh Elementary.  I didn't like it but thought... It is closer and it will have to be the last move....

No comments: